XO keymap blues

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Thu Oct 7 16:42:09 EDT 2010

Hi!

Several months ago I stumbled over the fact that when running Debian on
my XOs (XO-1 and XO-1.5, currently testing on XO-1.5) the keymap is
different from the one the OLPC builds use.

Today I took a look at this, but I'm stuck: I do not even get the same
scancodes. I'm puzzled as to how that's even possible as it's the same
piece of hardware (and unless there's something weird going on, the
scancode is what the keyboard (relayed through EC) sends, _before_ any
translation by kernel or X).

Do the OLPC builds include some "hidden" code (I checked olpc-utils but
didn't find anything) to tell the EC to use a different keyboard mode?
It can't be in the kernel as I'm already running an OLPC one (based on
olpc-2.6.31, commit 12d6406). OFW is Q3A48.

To give an example, this is the output of "showkey -s" for the left
grab key:

Build 852:
0xe0 0x5b
0xe0 0xdb