Modifying 353 (xo-1) to apply the dev.laptop.org/ticket/10195 fix

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 29 17:27:30 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 06:42:13AM -0600, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> What I __still__ cannot depend upon is for every XO-1 to reliably
> associate with an AP.  A symptom that I frequently observe is that
> 'iwlist eth0 scan' (as root) does not show the radio signals that other
> XO_1s do show.

Use scan-wifi in OpenFirmware in order to exclude the operating system
configuration from the problem.

If scan-wifi works fine, then it sounds like a Linux software problem.
If scan-wifi also doesn't work, you have a hardware problem.

XO-1 have two antenna connected to the wireless module, each via a
cable, which passes through the hinge of the antenna.

Even if one path is broken, the other will often be working.  An
intermittent fault in the cable may cause inability to scan, depending
on antenna hinge position or history of hinge movements.

Some wireless modules will complete a scan and locate nearby access
points with the antenna cables disconnected.  Some may not.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/