F14 os3 development image released (XO-1 and XO-1.5)

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Sat Nov 27 07:18:35 EST 2010

david at lang.hm wrote:
 > On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
 >
 > > On 11/26/2010 9:43 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
 > >>   * Automatic power management seem to have improved a lot and is
 > >>     almost unnoticeable. However, can't we disable it while the
 > >>     laptop is on AC?
 > >
 > > I'm pretty certain I recall reading that XOs show the charging indicator
 > > light to show they have enough external power to charge.  The charging
 > > light does not necessarily indicate that there is external power to
 > > charge the battery and run the laptop at the same time purely from an
 > > external power source.
 > >
 > > XO's do not presume that the external power source is an AC adapter,
 > > allowing a wide range of input tolerances before you damage the
 > > computer.
 >
 > that's fine for the default, but there should be some way to tell the
 > system that when I plug it in to external power, that can be considered AC
 > and disable automatic power management.

the dim, blank, and sleep timers can all be set separately for the
externally powered case, and set to 0 to disable them completely.  by
default they're set the same for both battery and external power.  the
one setting that's different in the default config is that on battery,
they system will eventually shut down on its own.  on external power,
it will not.

(btw -- that last setting (when to shut down when sleeping) is set to
just 1 hour.  since the 1.5 can stay asleep for several days before the
battery goes, one hour is probably a bit aggressive.

paul