Firmware update

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 17:40:58 EST 2010

Is this recommendation against yum and rpm for all software, or just the
oplc repo packages, the kernel and the firmware?  I'm certainly happy doing
just safe builds for the core.

However, as part of our 'refresh' stick when we wipe and install a new
signed build, we generally also include the necessary rpm's for cheese and a
couple of other utilities that are locally installed from the USB stick
using a bash script; or, for the Vernier software dependencies, the
dependent rpm's are installed by means of a python script.  However, they
are rpm's and they are downloaded onto the stick (the first time) using yum,
and they are then installed from the stick using --localinstall from the
stick.

Am I to understand that this a really 'caveat emptor' scenario?

Cheers

KG