Notes on conventional desktop tools

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at
Thu Nov 18 16:08:52 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at> wrote:
>>  - `umount /var/cache/yum` is a prerequisite for any serious yummage
> I started work on a plugin that breaks each update/installation into
> its own transaction starting at the smallest and working its way up.
> This helps with constricted space installations and tmpfs mounted
> filesystems

Sounds good. I still think we shouldn't put *all* of yum's cache in tmpfs. :-)

> I would also suggest including volti along with this.

Pretty cool. I'd need work to hook up to our controls. I wonder if the
F14 builds use PA.

>>  - Flash pays a hefty price for its refusal to use Xv. Don't install pulseaudio.
> The newest flashplayer "square" beta makes considerable improvements
> in playback on the XO.  Ultimately I think it is our pathetic fpu
> performance the hurts us here.

Downloaded, tested it. I am not seeing any difference -- I suspect
that they're shipping the 'square' both in the
flash-plugin rpm (reports v and in latest Chrome (which
claims to have 10.1.103).

Any specific tests?

BTW, in the settings panel of Flash it seems to read our mic and
camera just fine.

 martin.langhoff at
 martin at -- School Server Architect