RHEL6

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Nov 13 12:33:09 EST 2010

On 13 November 2010 13:05, Yioryos Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Back in April, there was a long discussion ( http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2010-April/thread.html#28118 )
> about RHEL6 as a base for an LTS OLPC/Sugar base.
> I was wondering if with the arrival of RHEL6 these thoughts are re-entertained, at least for the x86 machines.
> By the time RHEL6 is outdated most of the x86 XOs will be dead or close to it. So such a move now would free any resources that should be doing fedora catch up for the XO-1s and XO-1.5s and allow unobstructed software development of the ARM-based

I think Martin is keen on it for the XS, but for the XO we really need
closer distro integration than what we can achieve with RHEL.

The biggest issue is that only certain Red Hat employees can push
packages and updates to RHEL. If OLPC were to use it, we'd have to be
very dependent on those employees, or do a lot more package/distro
forking than present.

The working I'm doing at the moment (which will become more
community-visible soon) has the aim of making jumping between Fedora
versions less painful than before.

Daniel