XO-1.75 progress

Ed McNierney ed at laptop.org
Thu Nov 11 13:30:36 EST 2010

Bert -

No, not at all.  Our plans were, and are, to build XO-1.75 laptops with touchscreen support.  That's an essential step in our tablet development, we think.  That will essentially provide us with a 7.5" 4:3 tablet inside a laptop case.  That's a little small for a tablet, but it allows useful software development for a tablet model quite early - with a keyboard and mouse as fallback tools.

But I think it's important to think about XO-1.75 more as a set of technologies than as a "product" right now.  We're still experimenting.  We're learning, for example, that while interested deployments like the idea of an XO laptop with a touchscreen, they're also very sensitive to price, and aren't likely to purchase machines with an optional piece of hardware that isn't necessary for the device's operation, especially when that hardware will add more than $10 to the cost of the machine.  So we're certainly going to produce XO-1.75 machines with touchscreens for software development, but it's entirely possible that no machines will be delivered to deployments with touchscreens installed.

	- Ed