recycling chargers

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at
Thu May 13 05:43:34 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 06:44:34PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:

> An ATX or AT switch-mode power supply attached to a set of nine laptop
> charging cables.  The power supply is being used as a 12V DC regulated
> source.  The original PC power harness cables have been removed.
FWIW, I've also used a ATX power supply to power an XO-1, but stopped
doing so once I discovered why the XO-1.5 would run from it: Being a
cheap model, it regulated only the 5V rail, so the 12V rail dropped down
to 9V with a switched-on XO-1 connected to it. The XO-1 barely coped
(the power light started flickering some time ago, probably due to the
power supply aging and delivering an even lower voltage than before) and
the XO-1.5 (without MPPT ECO) didn't like it at all (whining noise, LED

power supply regulates the 12V rail (just hook up some load and check
the voltage).

CU Sascha