Free software for an ARM tablet?

imm ian.m.macarthur at talktalk.net
Sat May 29 07:43:33 EDT 2010

I don't have a voice here, but I have spent a while playing with
Moblin (and more recently MeeGo), and also with the Android SDK's.
(Caveat: this was for an experimental platform I have been trying
out; I have actually written exactly 0 useful apps with either
platform...)

FWIW, then, I'd suggest that MeeGo is a substantially better fit for
Sugar than Android is.

That's just my opinion, of course, and carries no weight, but I felt
I had to say something here; Android seems to have a lot of buzz
around it, but it's not really all that much like a stock linux, in
awkward and irritating ways, and I am not persuaded of it's
"openness"...

(As for MeeGo, I quite liked Clutter, but it seems to be relegated to
a secondary role now.)

On the plus side, it does seem that all the "phone" OS vendors are
doing a lot of groundwork to make the Sugar-style "one whole screen
app at a time" approach acceptable to end users. Even the iPad helps
in that regard, I guess..