Paraguay's os-builder

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed May 26 09:52:16 EDT 2010

El Wed, 26-05-2010 a las 10:24 -0300, Esteban Bordon escribió:
> Hi Bernie,
>
> I'm trying to generate a f11 build using the file used to generate
> build of Paraguay. I'm using
> http://git.paraguayeduca.org/gitweb/users/bernie/olpc-os-builder.git/blob/c70efc41c939087cad72950c56db5f8c3a0db03e:/examples/f11-xo1-py.ini?js=1
>
> I did it, but when I re-flash my XO touchpad doesn't work.
> Do you know this bug? Maybe I'm not using the correct .ini file.

I've seen this behavior before! It happens when the kernel modules
corresponding to your kernel are missing from /lib/modules/<...>

Now, how could that happen? In my case, it happens only on locked
laptops which read the kernel from the signed zip archive (actos.zip)
instead of the usual location (/boot/vmlinux).

Do you have the signing keys on your development machine? Did you clone
and build the bios-crypto project? Is the bitfrost package installed?

For me, the anti-theft system has always been the hardest part of the
entire system. To simplify things in the beginning, perhaps you could
temporarily disable the "signing" module on line 23 of f11-xo1-py.ini.

Another tip: to speed-up your builds, you should re-point the Fedora 11
repositories back to the official sites. We moved them to a local mirror
fedora.paraguayeduca.org, but it will be slow for you!

It may also be a good idea to make a local clone of our rpm repository:

  http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/olpc/pyeduca-repo/f11-xo1-py/

When everything is cached locally, making a new build takes about 15
minutes on a cheap PC box with 2GB of RAM. If you want to save some more
time, I recommend buying fast hard drives for your build machine.
Multiple cores won't help much.

In the first days, I wasted plenty of time waiting for builds to
complete just to find out that something was broken. So I recommend
optimizing your build machinery as early as possible :-)