How can I recover a bum battery?

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Sun May 23 06:12:17 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>> ok batman-start
>> ok bat-rewrite-life
>
> That fixed the second battery - when I plugged in the AC power to the
> XO, the Battery LED first turned yellow, and after a period of charging
> turned green.  I'm concluding the second battery is o.k.  Thanks.

Cool.  Various values may be incorrect until you go through a full
discharge/recharge cycle so don't be surprised if when you run on that
battery that it doesn't last as long as you expect.

>> If the rewrite does not fix things look at bat-dump-banks again and verify that the values
>> changed.  If they did and its still broke then we will have to look at other things.
>
> On the first battery, the values did change - but the Battery LED on the
> XO still stays dark when the AC power is plugged in.  [By the way, I
> have an XO-1.5 B2, if running batman.fth there would help things.]

running batman on it won't make any difference but the 1.5 firmware is
going to do a much better job of indicating what its unhappy with.
Update the 1.5 with the latest firmware and then put the battery in
that machine.  If the 1.5 does not do anything then I'll want to see
what the state machines are doing.

I'm not at a place I can look right now but I believe that I have a
bat-debug-log or something like that will log what the state machines
are doing to a log file on SD or USB.  Do you have a serial port?

The first series of things see-bstate does after battery insertion
would be useful.

 [on 1.5]

remove the battery.
ok see-bstate
insert battery.  Then copy the 1st 5 or 6 lines after the 0 1 2 's
stop repeating.

--
Richard A. Smith