Dead Production WLAN card

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu May 20 10:47:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
> nate wrote:

>  > > > In discussion with him a new piece of information was discovered.  He is
>  > > using the Network Manager wireless disable function prior to suspending the
>  > > card.   The wireless disable function is supposed to just turn off the power
>  > > to the WLAN but perhaps it is the reason he is able to kill the WLAN so
>  > > quickly.
>  > >
>  > > Does anyone do this on a regular basis to their XO-1.5 ?
>
> to be clear, the mechanism he was using wasn't via NM, but via
> the sugar network control panel "Radio" checkbox.  (that
> checkbox is directly hooked up to the shell command "rfkill
> un/block wifi".)

Are we talking about the same thing?  In IRC he specifically referrers
to GNOME and nm-applet.

[16:20:24] -*- jnettlet bearer of bad news.
[16:20:41] <jnettlet> I have returned and I believe my wifi is dead.
[16:21:26] <cjb> that's excellent news; we have a reliable test case now ;-)
[16:21:35] <cjb> (wad might not share my opinion of its excellence.)
[16:22:48] <jnettlet> cjb: but this may be software/firmware related.
I explicitly disabled the wifi card through nm-applet in GNOME, and
suspended the machine by closing the lid.
[16:23:13] <jnettlet> somehow I think sending the rfkill to the card
puts it in a state that is susceptible to getting zapped
[16:23:20] <cjb> ooh

--
Richard A. Smith