Idle-suspend a little too intrusive to user experience?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue May 11 22:31:00 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:59 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>> > just fix the kernel so the suspend
>> > ends when the next process wants to run.
>>
>> Have a look at powertop -- you'll never suspend, there are several
>> hundred wakeups per second.
>
> Did we give up on fixing these?

No, and as Ben mentions, it gets better gradually. But it is a huge
mountain to move, and it moves slowly, as you point out yourself with
the python patches,

> A cleanly defined kernel interface doesn't require "making apps
> suspend-aware".  Aggressive suspend is just doing it clumsily
> because we had no time to do it right.

While I generally agree with the point you make -- that we have
appropriate kernel interfaces that allow the kernel to decide wisely
when to sleep -- I have to say that making apps suspend-aware and
keeping our dcon tricks is still important for some use cases. e-books
and slide-ware (powerpoint) make the (ahem) point.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions