Idle-suspend a little too intrusive to user experience?

Ben Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue May 11 19:35:35 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 19:10 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> > just fix the kernel so the suspend
> > ends when the next process wants to run.
>
> Have a look at powertop -- you'll never suspend, there are several
> hundred wakeups per second.

On this F11-XO1 it's about 50, and almost all of them are kernel
internals (i.e. things that don't prevent cpuidle from suspending).

So far, I've seen hardly anything from userspace, mostly olpc-switchd,
NetworkManager, and the kbdshim.  IIRC, the 820 series builds had
basically zero userspace wakeups.

That's no accident; OLPC engineers like dsd put in a lot of work to make
that happen, to the point of disabling the cursor blink in gtk.  It's
absolutely achievable.

--Ben