XO-1.5 bad ogg experience

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri May 7 13:53:25 EDT 2010

Hi Daniel,

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> The education team in La Rioja have a good number of videos they want
> to ship on the laptops and servers. After the initial "argh the XO's
> cant play AVI" panic, I showed them how to convert to theora+vorbis on
> their regular PCs. No problems there.
>
> Unfortunately the next steps did not go so smoothly. We put a freshly
> recorded 7mb ogg video on USB, plugged it into the laptop, and opened
> it from the Journal. The Browse activity came up but really struggled
> to play the video.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10152

Is this using the built in mozilla html 5 video player or something
else? Have you tried the totem mozilla plugin if you want it played it
browse? I think the totem plugin is a xulrunner vs firefox plugin so
it should be usable in Browse. I was actually chatting to the totem
maintainer about using the plugin within xulrunner just the other day
for something else so it should be ok.

> In fact, in addition to being really choppy, it consistently stopped
> about 1/3 of the way through the video, with the spinner thing in the
> center of the video as if it were streaming a video from online and
> needed to download some more.
>
> The journal also gives you the option of opening the video in EToys,
> but this doesn't work.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10151
>

> The video does work absolutely great in the Jukebox activity. But
> Jukebox is a story of its own. Firstly it doesn't associate mimetypes
> so you can't open a video in Jukebox from the journal
> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1384
>
> Secondly when you open it from the home view, it doesn't pop up the
> object chooser, it just gives you a blank screen and gives you the
> challenge of finding the "Open" button yourself
> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1385
>
> Thirdly it doesn't inhibit suspend, so the machine goes to sleep
> during playback (should I file a bug?)

Does powerd support inhibit? With the use of ACPI in the XO-1.5 is
there any reason we can't use upower?

Peter