Slowing down an XO-1.5

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Tue Mar 30 03:02:09 EDT 2010

On Mar 30, 2010, at 2:48 AM, James Cameron wrote:

> They'd also notice the graphics performance differences, and that
> wouldn't be amenable to a simple fix.

Correct, and they would still get twice the memory and roughly
1.5 times the storage (JFFS2 is compressed).

What I didn't mention is that in the course of manufacturing the
processors, some of them can't run at full speed.  These are
lasered into a different product ID, clamped at the lowest speed,
and sold as separate product with a lower price.

I'd like to see/demonstrate what the performance of such a laptop
would be.

Cheers,
wad