[Sugar-devel] Journal Backup/Restore UI

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Mar 28 20:22:52 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 20:08 +0200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 14:14 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> >> I'm a bit confused, is the problem reliable full restore with limited
> >> local space or the DS having the xapian DB open while the copy
> >> happens? Or both?
> >
> > Both, but somehow we managed to solve them in a quick & dirty way:
>
> Doesn't copy-to-journal skip all the ugly?

Oh, well, indeed. Though we need to figure out how to glue it to the
rsync back-end.

The easy part is binding rsync to Python: this was already done in
duplicity by wrapping librsync with simple C and Python code which we
could steal.

Then it starts to get hard: the files are probably going to come down
from the xs in some random order. librsync provides a sophisticated
callback interface, but there seems to be also a whole-file interface.

This approach also opens other interesting possibilities such as
restoring individual files or merging the backup with the current
journal contents.

However, it looks like it would take a couple of months of effort to get
something like this done. For the time being, we could keep using the
plain rsync and maybe just add a stop/resume interface to the datastore?