[Sugar-devel] Journal Backup/Restore UI

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Mar 28 08:29:12 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 14:14 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> I'm a bit confused, is the problem reliable full restore with limited
> local space or the DS having the xapian DB open while the copy
> happens? Or both?

Both, but somehow we managed to solve them in a quick & dirty way:

 1) our script kills the datastore process before starting the restore.
    Then, at the end of the procedure, we restart Sugar.

 2) we restore the journal in place, using the --delete-before option
    of rsync in order to free up space in the filesystem beforehand

I've tested this procedure yesterday in a school, and it worked
egregiously with two different laptops. The code is here:

 http://trac.paraguayeduca.org/browser/scripts/os-modifications/diario-restaurar

Now we're "just" missing a nice GUI for end-users: a control panel icon
or a button in the journal toolbar.

Someone has to file a feature request and discuss it with the Design
team. Would anyone like to get started on this while we're still busy
fixing the few remaining high-priority bugs in Sugar 0.84?