Adobe Flash 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 17:15:30 EDT 2010

Changing the subject (slightly), I spoke with some folks from
deployments today about Flash support. Here are a couple of data
points, for what it is worth:

The Brazilian government has invested "$73M" over the past 3 years in
the development of educational materials in Flash (I am guessing they
do not require any recent features from Adobe). I don't know any
details, except that allegedly these materials did not play very well
on some version of Gnash on the OLPC XO-1 hardware. I don't think any
recent tests have been conducted, but it suggests that there is some
pent-up demand for Flash support of some sort at least in Brazil. (It
may be worthwhile for a technical team at one of the universities to
lobby the government for funds to bring Gnash up to speed for these
specific data. It'd be a great way to leverage their investment.)

Separate from Flash support is the issue of youtube videos. Allegedly
this is a frequent request from the children in Rwanda.

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender