Adobe Flash 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Thu Mar 25 16:50:07 EDT 2010

On Mar 25, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Tiago Marques wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh dear. Googling HQTube ended up with the top 2 entries being porn
> sites :-/ I think something needs a project name change :)
>
> Indeed, hence the link in my e-mail, to avoid confusion.
>
> Anyway, wouldn't there be a problem if we bundled HQTube because
> VLC/Xine/MPlayer would still need licensed codecs to be able to decode
> audio/video streams? (FFmpeg/Gstreamer Ugly). In the case of Flash, at
> least we'd have working sound because it's all good and licensed,
> unlike in the default GNASH install.
>
> I don't think H.264 needs licensed codecs but I'm not sure on that

EVERY codec need licenses.   I know that the FOSS community
thinks that Theora is unencumbered, but it has never been tested
in court (there hasn't ever been anybody worth suing using it.)

This becomes a real problem when we start asking hardware
vendors to provide firmware supporting these "free" codecs.
If they provide them, they then become a choice target for an
infringement suit.

In past jobs I've purchased codecs, and a large part of what is
being purchased is indemnity against infringement lawsuits.

It sucks, but flame your local federal rep., not me, and contribute
heavily to the EFF.

Cheers,
wad