Adobe Flash 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Mar 24 10:36:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:19, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 24.03.2010, at 14:12, Reuben K. Caron wrote:
>>

>> On Mar 24, 2010, at 12:44 AM, Chris Ball wrote:
>>>
>>> 2) it is nowhere near possible to properly edit Flash content in a GUI
>>>  on an XO because the software to do so does not exist, and suffers
>>>  from a complex and underspecified set of compatibility requirements.
>>
>> I'll refrain from listing the software on the XO that is nowhere near
>> possible to edit on the XO because either the source code is not
>> available or the XO does not meet the technical requirements to run
>> necessary software.
>
> And how is being imperfect an argument for giving up ones ideas?
>
> Besides, all source code for all applications is available. As much of Sugar as possible was coded in Python, not the least to allow tinkering. The Etoys activity even comes with a full Smalltalk IDE (you know, the one that inspired countless other IDEs including Eclipse). That's the direction we prefer to explore. But even then we don't prevent others from exploring other directions.

In case it brings anything to this discussion, some months ago I spent
quite a bit of days from my time in making easier to create content
for Sugar with Flash, and ultimately failed because I didn't had the
money to pay for the tools that would have allowed me to debug the
Flash content:

http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/04/embed-flash-movies-with-gnash-in-your.html

If anybody wants more examples of people who tried to do Flash content
and failed, talk with the OLE Nepal guys, who invested several
people-years in creating Flash content and are now rewriting it in
HTML5:

http://karmaeducation.org/

I'm not saying that Flash is "bad", just that every technology has
their trade-offs and sometimes you need to get your feet wet before
you can tell if its appropriate for your use case or not.

Regards,

Tomeu