Adobe Flash 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 23 19:58:57 EDT 2010

On 24.03.2010, at 00:36, Chris Ball wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> What do you guys think?
>
> For what it's worth, I wrote up my personal opinion about this on the
> sugar-devel@ list last year:
>
>   http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-January/003516.html
>
> (This isn't an official OLPC policy; I didn't talk with anyone at OLPC
> before writing it.)
>
> - Chris.

Very nicely put. This *should be* official policy in any case :)

The real problem with Flash isn't even the non-free player. It's the non-free authoring tool chain every content creator is locked into, plus that even with the tools the resulting flash file is not fully editable. The result is an impenetrable magic gimmick, it's not supposed to be examined, deconstructed, rebuilt, improved. It's teaching kids to be consumers, not to be creators.

- Bert -