Adobe Flash 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 18:43:25 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know most people here prefer free as in Libre as opposed to free as
> in beer, but what do you think of coordinating with Adobe to get Flash
> 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO?

Flash 10 AFAIK is available as an rpm, so a local deployment hoping to
add it in their local image can do so easily.

The current AIR "stable" is not available as rpm apparently, and
that's causing some people a lot of pain. The preview binaries of
their next major release are available as rpms.

> Adobe already supports a lot of open-source initiatives and have
> already open-sourced the Flex SDK which you can use to compile SWFs

Unlikely that it's "open source" in the OSI sense, so let's not fall
into that trap -- they opened up some of their code.

> Also, Adobe blabla bla

Look, I have worked for many years on the Shockwave and Flash
platforms. Unless your clients are paying you real money to develop
with it, it's honestly a PoS and there is no reason to celebrate it.

There is just a ton of content in that damn format. Most of is bad
quality, a vanishingly small % is passably good... but whoever owns it
loves it, good or bad, because they paid good $ for it ;-)

> Also, Flash is the most commonly used toolset for building educational
> apps.

Again, I have worked for many years in exactly that industry. That
content... is of very low educational quality. Extremely low.
Ridiculously low.

> What do you guys think?

That you've applied for a job at Adobe, or will do it soon ;-)

Honestly, there is no point to what you propose: the only thing needed
for integration work is for Adobe to make a good rpm of their current
stable AIR. Maybe they can test it, and tune it for the XO-1.5.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions