To Gnome or not to Gnome

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 11:01:32 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 07:28:05 pm Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> All we need is a fast way to recover from disasters. A "panic button"
> which would reset all settings. It could be implemented in
> olpc-configure with 3 lines of code. In the absence of a recovery
> option, technicians resort to flashing laptops that have been tampered
> with beyond some point.
One simple way would to be save home directory into /var/lib/home-save.tgz on
issue and then restore it while booting:

   test -f $HOMEDIR/.dontrestore || tar xjvf /var/lib/home-save.tbz -C
$HOMEDIR ./

To restore, remove $HOMEDIR/.dontrestore and reboot.

This is not a robust solution but it should take care of most 'experiments' by
kids ;-).

HTH .. Subbu