802b5 - activity bakeoff!

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 19:00:37 EDT 2010

I am uploading 802b5 to http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/8.2.2-betas/ --
the main purpose of this build is to test updated activities.

The focus is on somespecific activities that may be better... or not.

 - Colors 13 -> 15 -- the build includes v15. It mostly worked
correctly. I found odd bugs in
some cases in shared mode; the buddies joining would see the right
paintstrokes but with the wrong thickness or color. Maybe the bug is
there on v13 too, and this is not a regression...?

Bakeoff: test collaborative sessions with Colors 13 vs Colors 15.
The old version is at http://dev.laptop.org/~wadeb/Colors!-13.xo

 - Record 59 -> 64 -- the build includes v64 but I have seen some
issues with it.

My test was heavy duty: go through each tab (picture, video, audio)
and capture acouple of both, and then start
the tab cycle again. OOMd twice, worked flawlessly once, needs more
investigation.

There is no denying that it OOMd or crashed, but it may still be an
improvement over v59 (which also crashes and misbehaves if you treat
it harsh).

Bakeoff: test all the knobs, test again. Which one is best?
Old version at http://dev.laptop.org/~cscott/bundles/Record-59.xo

 - Speak 9 -> 11 -- please test as I've rolled back from v14!

=Additionally=

We'd love your help testing all the updated activities - here's a list
of what's changed from 8.2.1 G1G1. These passed some initial tests in
my hands, but your expert hands may reveal more...

Calculate 25 -> 30
Distance 14 -> 18
Etoys -- 94 -> 99
Implode 5 -> 9
Memorize 33 -> 34
Moon 10 -> 11
Pippy 30 -> 35
TamTamEdit 50 -> 52
TamTamJam 51 -> 53
TamTamMini 49 -> 52
TamTamSynthLab 51 -> 53
Terminal 18 -> 31
Wikipedia 10 -> 11 (Spanish)
SocialCalc Activity 1 -> 5
TurtleArt 10 -> 82 (!!!)

=What I've rolled back=

These clearly don't work on 8.2.2 (we'll have to update ASLO and
wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1/8.2 with this info!).

 - Speak 9 -> 14 -- works well but the new toolbar is confusing. The
build has v11 -- please test!

 - Log 16 -> 18 -- fails to start, errors out on "import gio".

 - Measure 24 -> 29 -- "Keep error"

 - Paint 23 -> 27 -- shared paint sessions fail to start on the buddy

 - Read 56 -> 86 -- uses gconf, dies on 'import gconf'

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions
 - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first