Installation of non-sugar programs

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Sun Mar 14 18:59:37 EDT 2010

Bernie,

Thanks again for your talk to the support gang on Sunday.  It was very
informative.

Some of the topics you discussed about usage differences between the
teachers and children and the _very_ different views they have about
keeping data made me think about a 1.5 discussion that has surfaced a
few times.

It revolves around the division of space of the disk in 1.5.  We
currently have  /boot and / in separate partitions.  There is discussion
that we should continue and break /home out into its own partition as
well.  There are various pros and cons associated with separation of
system and user data.  A lot of these are based on how the developers
think the system is used.  You of course have real world data on usage
that is very valuable.

One con of separate partitions is that the amount of stuff a user can
install via yum is now limited by the size of the system partition
rather than by the available disk space because of yum limitations.

Based on your observations do you see that as a pro or con?  Is there a
large amount of installation of non-sugar apps for Gnome in the F11-XO1
images?  Sugar apps are installed in the user data so they would not
suffer from the limit.

Do you think that breaking out /home into its own partition would help
or hurt how Paraguay the folk are operating?  You discussed 3 very
different user groups. Techs vs teachers vs children.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child