NOW! Contributors Program Mtg (#olpc-meeting, 2:50PM Boston Time, Friday)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Mar 5 14:54:12 EST 2010

Please all join us right now reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community
projects over IRC Live Chat:
http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* XO-1.5 early production machines now available:

http://blog.laptop.org/2010/02/25/xo-1-5-early-production-laptops-free-to-contributors-worldwide/

* Fast Review of the 9 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
  join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

 1. Columbus School for Girls XO Laptop Service Learning Project - Ohio
 2. RT Support Project Proposal - Greenville, New York
 3. XO-1.5 Sugar polishing - Prague, Czech Republic
 4. Testing PyDebug on a production F11 XO1.5 - NYC, New York
 5. OLPC Lo De Marcos - Nayarit, Mexico & Quebec City, Canada
 6. The "Green Machine" - Riverside, California
 7. Sol Alliance - Blue Springs, Missouri
 8. Musicpainter - Somerville, Massachusetts
 9. Intelligent Learning Framework - Munich, Germany

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
  http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

1. Columbus School for Girls XO Laptop Service Learning Project - Ohio
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=58306
   http://csgolpc2010.weebly.com
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1 XO-1.5 over 14+ months

   Project Objectives:
   The main objective of this project is to interest and engage high
school girls in computer science through this hands-on, real-world,
socially relevant service learning project. Our school typically only
fields 2-3 students in any given computer science class we offer, and
they are always the same 2-3 students. This project attracted over 40
students initially, which is almost 15% of our student body. The service
learning trip is the “hook” I needed to interest many students in
something they might not otherwise discover.

2. RT Support Project Proposal - Greenville, New York
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=58307
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1 XO-1.5 and 1 XO-1 over undetermined months

   Project Objectives:
   Objective is to get up to speed on both hardware and software so I
can answer more technical questions on RT.  I love RT and having this
wonderful opportunity to help OLPC.  I want to be able to contribute
more to the OLPC community.

3. XO-1.5 Sugar polishing - Prague, Czech Republic
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=58369
   http://dev.laptop.org
   http://bugs.sugarlabs.org
   http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1 XO-1.5 over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   Polish Sugar on the XO 1.5, with special regard to performance.

4. Testing PyDebug on a production F11 XO1.5 - NYC, New York
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=58422
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Python_Debugger_activity_for_the_XO
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1 XO-1.5's over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   Create an activity that facilitates Activity development and debugging
   See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Python_Debugger_activity_for_the_XO

5. OLPC Lo De Marcos - Nayarit, Mexico & Quebec City, Canada
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=58456
   http://scoop.demarque.com
   http://www.edumedia-sciences.com/fr/
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 10 XO's over 20 months

   Project Objectives:
   [TRANSLATION REQUIRED]
   • Ayudar a los alumnos de la clase a comprender la importancia de la
   calidad de la lengua española en las comunicaciones.
   • Desarrollar Estrategias, programas o planes o proyectos puntuales
   formativos que impulsen y desarrollen el Proyecto Educativo Integral
   Comunitario, que simultáneamente optimicen la calidad educativa,
   reduzcan significativamente anomalías Socio- Educativas como la
   deserción y la violencia intra-extraescolar y promuevan la participación.

   • Reglamentar las actividades personales y funcionales de alumnos,
   docentes, obrero, administrativos, padres/representantes,
   vecinos, organizaciones comunitarias que hagan vida activa en el plantel.

6. The "Green Machine" - Riverside, California
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=58591
   http://sife.lasierra.edu "invisible until competition time"
   http://lasierra.edu
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 7 XO-1.5's over 3 months

   Project Objectives:
   Each Year our SIFE team comes up with new and innovative projects
that push
   the level of competition in SIFE. Back in July of 2009, our team came up
   with a vision of transforming a small school bus into an interactive
   learning lab aimed at teaching young students about the environment
and the
   world around them. Our SIFE students have spent months developing
   curriculum, purchasing the small bus and planning the program. We are
now in
   the final stages of finishing the bus design and will begin teaching
as of
   March 15. We plan to impact over 1,000 3rd and 4th grade students in
   California between March 15 and April 30. We are well established in our
   community because of 19 year legacy of students dedicated to service.
This
   allows us to make the 1,000+ student mark a reality.

7. Sol Alliance - Blue Springs, Missouri
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=58611
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 4 XO's over 36 months

   Project Objectives:
   To bring together knowledge from around the world to incorporate into
   helpful actions formed by youth (and community members that said
youth can
   inspire to help.) To do this, we will form an alliance of youth between
   countries whom are chosen to cast frequent reports on ongoing problems,
   possible solutions and resolved issues. This alliance will work
together to
   record happenings (country laws, natural disasters, changes in the earth,
   new projects in space, etc.), natural or otherwise disasters, and raise
   money to contribute to stronger, healthier choices to better the
community,
   country, continent, and world.

8. Musicpainter - Somerville, Massachusetts
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=58683
   http://web.media.mit.edu/~wuhsi/Musicpainter_en.html
   http://musicpainter.medit.mit.edu (soon!)
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1 XO-1.5's over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   Musicpainter is a networked graphical composing
   environment. It has an easy-to-use composing interface, where users can
   compose while painting. It is designed to make music composition more
   social, where everyone can access and collaboratively contribute to a
shared
   composing resource. The goal of the project is to provide an environment
   where users can gather and learn how to compose from each other, and to
   creates a place where different musical perspectives collide.

9. Intelligent Learning Framework - Munich, Germany
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=58694
   http://www1.in.tum.de/static/lehrstuhl/
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ILF
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Kaserf
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 2 XO-1.5's over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   Develop a framework to support learning. First steps of a
   literacy acquisition game have been taken and an Iphone application has
   been developed during a project at university. The iphone app has been
   evaluated with a psychologist and some of the children he treats. The
   evaluation of the app was very promising and showed that learning games
   which follow pedagogic principles are very effective. The goal of the
   framework is to support the learner during his learning activity and
   react if problems appear.