Welcoming Gary Chiang to OLPC

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 09:58:15 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:19 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2010, at 4:46 AM, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to announce that Gary Chiang has joined OLPC as
> > a contractor, working on hardware development and teaching
> > repair procedures.   Gary is no stranger to the project, having
> > worked on all OLPC laptops while at Quanta Computer, Inc.
> > He has the distinction of having worked on OLPC hardware for
> > longer than anyone else, starting with Mark Foster early in the
> > XO-1 development!
> >
> > Gary will be based out of Taipei for now, and can be reached
> > at gary at laptop.org.
> >
> > Welcome Gary!
> >
> > I'm particularly enticed by what your plans are when it comes to
>  teaching
> > repair procedures.
>
> [This is meant to be in addition to Gary's reply]
>
> Gary has literally been "the guy who teaches the factory how to
> fix the motherboards".   He spent over a week in Uruguay teaching
> them both the basic manual skills and techniques for repairing SMD
> PCB repair and specific debugging techniques for the XO-1 motherboard.
>
> In terms of scaling him up, we should probably dedicate a video crew
> next time he does this.   The current approach works only for the
> larger deployments --- but the tools and parts needed aren't necessarily
> cost effective for smaller deployments.

Yeah, a video guide is certainly a great idea.

Additionally I'd accompany it with written guides with lots of photos which
are great for printing out and bringing along when you're in the field or
simply offline.

Compiling a list of required equipment for these repairs might also be
useful. While small deployments might not have the resources to obtain this
equipment themselves having such a list could probably go a long way in
helping them find partners at companies or universities which could give
them access to their labs.

Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer