libdlo

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 02:41:01 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org> wrote:
>> On 04/22/2010 10:26 AM, John Watlington wrote:
>>
>>> Sameer,
>>>     You want us to add software to our build so that
>>> you can support an $89 USB peripheral that requires
>>> a separate screen, keyboard, and mouse ?
>>>
>>> I'm sorry, but building more computer labs isn't
>>> what OLPC is about.
>>
>> Where are you reading that displaylink requires a separate keyboard and
>> mouse? libdlo supports the chip and the protocol not any specific device.
>>
>> While not immediately usefull overall I think this is a +1 since I've
>> received several requests via the support gang list on how to make the
>> USB VGA adapter work.  Many have tried and seems everyone but the
>> original has failed.  USB projectors are listed as products that might
>> be useful (if the have the currently spported chip or when other chips
>> are added)
>>
>> All the the requests for a USB video were so they could hook it up to a
>> projector for training classes. The possibility of USB projector support
>> seems very worthwhile.
>>
>> If none of the projectors are supported yet then there's not much point
>> in adding it to the build but if someone gets a projector working then
>> we certainly should support it.
>>
>> --
>> Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
>> One Laptop per Child
>>

> I now have a DisplayLink Certified device. I'd be happy to test this
> out if the drivers/support make it into the builds.

I remember reading quite some time ago that there was a open source
driver released for the DisplayLink devices but I'm not sure what the
upstream support in X is and whether the driver has yet made it into
mainline X.org and hence whether its supported yet in Fedora. Checking
with Fedora 13 or rawhide would likely be the best route for testing
and then filing a request upstream.

Regards,
Peter