Anyone playing with Ubuntu on XO-1.5?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jun 14 13:40:15 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:17, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 18:33, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> At this point Sugar on Ubuntu is unusable broken.  Activity Central
>>> has signed a 12 month contract with Seeta.in to create and maintain
>>> Ubuntu on Sugar.  I hope that by Aug we will have a usable set of
>>> packages which can be test on the XO-1.5.
>>>
>>> As all ways, community support is appreciated.  A working Sugar on
>>> Ubuntu is just one of several protects which I feel need to be nudged
>>> into moving forward.... and I am just 'putting my money where my mouth
>>> is' to make it happen.
>>
>> I know the work you are sponsoring must be costing you lots, but if
>> you could sponsor someone to attend the next UDS, I think it will pay
>> off greatly.
>
> +1. Canonical has offer to sponsor two developer to the next UDS:)
>
>> I have to confess than in the Maverick UDS there was a blueprint about
>> Sugar but I messed the schedule up and attended something else instead
>> :(
>>
>> But once you get there, and if you can find the right person, you can
>> have a much better upstream-downstream conversation than most people
>> think.
>
> Phase one is improving the relationship with Debian and establishing
> credibility:)  As a summer internship LukeF is acting as a tour guide
> to Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> For phase two, I hope that we can show up at the next UDS with a
> working product (show me the code) and a skill team for developers and
> maintainers.

Sounds like a good strategy.

Btw, about hulahop and pyxpcom, Micah Gersten told me at the UDS that
they would love to have pyxpcom working on Ubuntu but that they need
first to take care of some infrastructure issues.

In a few weeks, it may be possible to package hulahop for Maverick and
backport it to an older release.

But of course, a PPA might be good enough for the moment.

Regards,

Tomeu