Am now getting a "zero dot" hang on my XO-1.5

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Jun 11 22:55:23 EDT 2010

> Has the weather warmed?

This is inside an air-conditioned residence.  The room temperature ought
to stay within a range of plus/minus three degrees F.

> Is it a B2?  Perhaps the heat spreader has shifted?

It's a B2.  But I believe the heat spreader is screwed into place.

> This can be tested in OFW:
>
> ok dev /switches
> ok .temp-rise
> Testing heat spreader ... temperature rose 6 degrees C - OKAY
>
> On a B2 here, it rises 12 degrees C and is marked FAIL.

On mine it rises 13 degrees C and is marked FAIL.

I could not find the VIA spec sheet with temperature limits - but many
modern chips have a limit of 80 degrees C or higher.  The application
with the highest processing requirements that I run is Timidity (it
requires interpolation and massaging of digital audio data -- resulting
in a continuous XO-1.5 processor workload of at least 40% of the cpu).
With Timidity running, 'sensors' tells me the temperature gets to 71 C.

[The XO-1.5 back does not get warmer than some XO-1 backs.]

mikus