Reason for the "one dot" hang found!

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Thu Jun 10 10:17:30 EDT 2010

Laura an I are travelling accross the Interoceanic road equipped only with
our
2 XO-1s loaded with your most excellent os240py image.
This bug is most definitively the most annoying and I am so happy you seem
to have found a workaround. I´ll probably try to comment out the line
in rc.sysinit today and test it.

Thanks for the information!
We´ll report as we are preparing "Misky Pachamama" (Sweet Earth) Sugar
Camp event in Puno, high in the Andes, in front of the Titicaca Lake.

We plan to have a workshop with developers, teachers, and also a translation
sprint for Aymara and Quechua languages.

Cheers!
BTW: Alt-Tab and some other shortcuts, are annoyance nº2 for me.
We´ll continue to test and share this image with the community here.

Sebastian

2010/6/10 Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>

> Hello,
>
> with the serial cable Richard gave me, I figured out what's causing a
> rare lockup during boot which has been riddling the XO-1 since when we
> moved to F11.
>
> The /etc/rc.sysinit script contains this line:
>
>  # Sync waiting for storage.
>  { rmmod scsi_wait_scan ; modprobe scsi_wait_scan ; rmmod  scsi_wait_scan ;
> } >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> It gets executed while udev is loading modules in parallel. Apparently,
> something in the kernel ends up dead-locking on module load:
>

>   1 tty1     Ss+    0:02 /sbin/init
>  945 ?        Ss     0:00 /bin/sh -e -c ?runlevel --set S >/dev/null ||
> true???/
>  950 ?        S      0:00  \_ /bin/bash /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
> 1597 ?        D      0:00      \_ modprobe scsi_wait_scan
>  946 ttyS0    Rs     0:00 /bin/bash --
> 1712 ttyS0    R+     0:00  \_ ps afx
> 1010 ?        S<s    0:00 /sbin/udevd -d
> 1035 ?        D<     0:00 /sbin/modprobe -b
> pci:v000011ABd00004102sv000011ABsd00
>

> So it's definitely a kernel bug. Would someone like to dig into the init
> function of scsi_wait_scan to find out the root cause?
>
> Since the XO-1 is in long-term maintenance at this point, to save time
> we could opt instead for a quick & dirty solution such as commenting out
> the modprobe line in rc.sysinit. As far as I can tell, it's not needed
> on the XO.
>
> --
>   // Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
>  \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://sugarlabs.org/

Sebastian Silva
http://somosazucar.org/
"Te imaginas si te pudieran enseñar sólo a leer pero no a escribir??"