Alternative option for solving Fedora i686 vs geode problems

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at
Wed Jun 9 18:38:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at> wrote:

> On 7 June 2010 20:05, James Cameron <quozl at> wrote:
> > You are placing far more trust in a trivial rebuild than I would.  Once
> > Fedora ceases testing the actual instruction streams we will be using,
> > we will be providing the testing instead.  There are some interesting
> > classes of bugs that this would influence.
> After years of working with Gentoo linux where practically every user
> has their own CFLAGS, I can say that problems like this are uncommon,
> at least in my experience.
> The only cases where CFLAGS differences cause miscompilations that
> I've seen have been related to using the more exotic CFLAGS, or users
> being downright stupid.
> I don't imagine we'd see any issues from changing from -march=i686 to
> -march=i586.

Gentoo does one thing Fedora won't(I think), which is to filter out harmless
CFLAGS that cause problems with some packages. You could always look into
Gentoo's ebuilds if an error like that is suspected but I agree that it will
be mostly a non-issue.
The biggest "similar" problem I faced was using a 3.4 compiler where a
package only compiled well to 4.1+.

Best regards,