[Sugar-devel] behaviour of F-keys on XO HS

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Thu Jul 15 18:59:13 EDT 2010

On 16 July 2010 10:50, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> Under non-sugar environments (e.g. GNOME), myself and Paul are in
> agreement that in order to change brightness and volume, you should
> press e.g. Fn+F9 (to decrease brightness).
> This matches behaviour of "normal" laptops, including the Dell that
> I'm writing on. Linux already has mechanisms (once through hal, now
> through udev) so that when I press Fn+F8 on my Dell, X receives the
> "volume down" key press (instead of the Fn+F8 key press), matching
> what is printed on the keyboard.
This convention appears to be changing. My very recent HP notebook requires
th Fn button to be pushed to reach the function keys. Everything is

While I don't have the empirical evidence to support a claim that users
prefer to have quick access to volume & brightness, I think this could be an
argument to say that whatever the path of least resistance (in terms of
developer cycles) is fine.