[Sugar-devel] Clocks on XOs

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 17:32:55 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Likely so, but the software should be able to compensate for it. After
> discussing it on IRC, it seems that olpc-update-query should
> automatically update the clock from the OATS server.

Do _not_ rely on this for accurate clock setting. It only kicks in if

 - the clock is really off
 - the XS has delegated OATS keys

>> NetworkManager used to call ntpdate when it setup a connection.  Was that an
>> OLPC addition?
>
> We figured out that the ntp package has never been present on the XO
> images.

Um? I thought it was there -- perhaps in much older builds?

> There's no way to practical way to implement effective anti-theft
> without taking away root from the user. And once we take away root
> access, we've also taken away olpc's principle #1: child ownership.

Not true on several levels. We can control the clock in OFW for the
case where the time is reset to the past. Not implemented (yet) but
planned.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions