[Sugar-devel] Clocks on XOs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jul 6 17:03:02 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 11:21 -0600, Daniel Drake wrote:

> I think it's fine that individual deployments can do it. But it
> shouldn't be done globally because it weakens the security system.

Which security system, the theft deterrence?

Well, granting root access from the console already weakens it to the
point of being useless. Who would bother to setup a fake DHCP, DNS and
NTP server when it takes 20 seconds to crack it from the console? :-)

Where you thinking of a different scenario?

> A globally acceptable solution could be to decrease the safety guard
> on the olpc-update-query check so that it corrects the time if it is
> (e.g.) more than 1 hour out.

This isn't globally acceptable: many (most?) laptops run without a OATS
server, so their clock would remain wrong forever.

PS: I just found yet another laptop which won't activate because the
clock was set to 15 July 2000 (not 2010!). Do you see many of these?