[Sugar-devel] UI experiments: pop-up menus and hot corners

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 5 12:34:25 EDT 2010

On 5 Jul 2010, at 14:13, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 13:29 +0200, James Zaki wrote:
>
>> But could you add a message hint that then dissappear after some
>> seconds ?
>> For example, when you launch, and auto-resume last saved work, a
>> discrete message appears and after some time dissappear (fade, or
>> slide away), say 5 or so seconds.
>> For example a title with a button (eg: "This is <journal
>> title> ..." ["start new instead?"]
>> )  that descends from the top just beneath the menu (like web browser
>> notifications)

Sorry, I couldn't quite follow this. Were you suggesting to use resume as the default behaviour (as it currently is in Sugar) then after your first click, have something else pop up to click on if you want to change your mind (i.e. if you actually wanted 'start new')?

Hmm, sounds rather tricky, especially on slow laptops with jumpy mouse cursors and young users. Also technical issues I think as I'm sure when you click, the Activity is being launched with either an existing activity ID to resume, or a new activity ID for a new session — don't think you can pullout of that part way through launching.

> Good idea. We could put the activity title in the startup window, below
> the glowing icon.

Just showing the name under the pulsing icon might be a useful extra, but ideally the launch time should be as short as possible so might look odd briefly flashing up the text (the pulse animation is meant to be a transition, just unfortunate that most startups are still more than a second or three).

Regards,
--Gary