[ANNOUNCE] Tiny Core Linux for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 31 02:02:34 EST 2010

--- On Sat, 1/30/10, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> From: James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Tiny Core Linux for XO-1 and XO-1.5
> To: "Yioryos Asprobounitis" <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "OLPC Devel" <devel at lists.laptop.org>
> Date: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 8:05 PM
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 05:30:52AM
> -0800, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> > I made a GUI version for XO-1 with a
> 2.6.31-oplc-derived kernel and
> > Xfbdev to run X in frame buffer.
> > http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4730.msg31395#msg31395
>
> I've reviewed that thread, but I didn't find out how you
> did it.  Please
> share the process by which you generated it, so that I and
> others can
> reproduce it.

Right. So,

First I compiled a 2.6.31 kernel as described here
http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4708
with the sources of the olpc-2.6 git (on Jan18, 2010) and patched it with the Aufs2 with patch and sources from aufs2-standalone git tree
( http://aufs.sourceforge.net/README.aufs2 ). Patches just fine w/o any modification.
I do not think Aufs2 is needed for tiny core. Was/is for puppy linux and I had it running ;-).

Then I build the kernel with the config posted here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=383103#383103

Then I installed this kernel on the XO-1 running F11-XO1/os11 and through trial and error (I do not really comprehend bash operators ;-) I modified your script to the one attached.
Build tinycore_xo  running the script with the --xo-1 option
Note that this script has an essid defined and the name of the kernel I had running on my XO-1. So is not generally applicable.

Finally run the build on the XO-1 and added Xbfdev as described here
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#xsetup

Then you go to the original post :-)

Is really low-tech but that's how was done!