offtopic question about high density wifi

Chris Ball cjb at
Mon Jan 25 15:36:46 EST 2010

   > Yes - APs often have a limit.  The limit is not defined by any
   > kind of specification. It depends on the AP.

I think I recall that brief testing with a bunch of consumer access
points at OLPC showed that this number was usually above 15 clients
and below 30 clients, per AP, at 54Mbps.

For hosting hundreds of devices, you should look into getting many
access points that each have three omni-directional antennas working
on non-overlapping channels.  The PyCon wifi team does a write-up
about their setup each year, which seems to contain more information
than anyone could need:

- Chris.
Chris Ball   <cjb at>
One Laptop Per Child