Touchpad accel, spirals and xset

James Zaki james.zaki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 03:35:37 EST 2010

>> To prove, first turn off how the existing module triggers
>> recalibrations

> Reproduced without changing parameters or a nose.

Turning off the recalibrations was just to allow miscalibration to persist
for demonstration purposes. Ie, starting from first principles to show my
reasoning.

> I agree, it does seem that the calibration as a result of jumpiness
> might cause symptoms.

One thing I realised I could have emphasised is that the attempted
recalibration based on jumpiness is self perpetuating. Much like why
post_interrupt_delay didn't work. We're trying to think of things the device
developers would have already thought about.

> I can't think of a way to know when it is safe to recalibrate.

That is where I explained what was described as "spew", being helpful.

I just fired up the tech
specs<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:KGDMFA001-non-confidential.pdf>(the
xo displays it correctly), and page 14 has the point about auto self
recalibration...

---
7) Automatic calibration setting command Enable/Disable       *C ver

   This command sets whether to do the calibration automatically when the
following states are generated.
   a. The high-speed operation not generated in the normal operation when
continuing.
   b. When you continuously generate the same position for ten seconds or
more.
----

For (b), 10 seconds is a long time.
But does anyone know about (a), and if/why we do/dont use auto calib without
the firmware module recalibs?