OLPC does end run around IP addresses

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Jan 9 01:35:41 EST 2010

I don't have wireless - my XOs are on ethernet (using interface eth1).
Currently I am running without a DNS server - meaning that I need to
issue explicit commands at each XO to set its eth1 IP address.

Just now I've been testing with a deliberately non-customized XO-1 -- I
have NOT issued any commands to it to set its IP address.  It is running
build 802B1, and has by default set IP addresses of 169.254... for its
eth0 and msh0 interfaces (its ethernet eth1 interface has only a default
IPv6 address).  Netstat at that XO shows only the 169.254 routes.

The other XOs on the ethernet have IPv4 IP addresses only on eth1, in
the 192.168.1.. range.  They have no IPv4 addresses for their radios.
Netstat at those XOs shows only the 168.192.1 route.

What I find interesting is that Neighborhood View at every XO shows
*all* other XOs (plus their names) physically attached to the ethernet.
 'olpc-xos' shows the non-customized XO with its eth0 (radio) IP
address;  the other XOs are shown with their eth1 (ethernet) IP addresses.

My conclusion:  The XOs are recognizing each other over the ethernet,
despite having "non-pingable" IP address identities activated.

mikus