Sugar window managing UI (was: Re: Android, OLPC, and native hosting)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Wed Jan 6 05:49:25 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 06:18:47PM -0500, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> I think there's room for solid innovation here, especially since the
> window manager of sugar was *my* personal roadblock to productive
> on-XO activity development.
Interesting. What exactly about the window manager crippled your
productivity?
I myself am using full-screen workspaces (using ion3) on my desktop
(with 24" TFT attached to it) most of the time. What I hate about the
Sugar window managing UI is:
a) _very_ long switching time
b) there's no way to switch to a specific window (=activity instance), I
need to cycle through all of them with Alt+Tab/Alt+Shift+Tab (the latter
being somewhat difficult to type on the XO-1).

b) is probably easy enough to fix (just add some key bindings to
metacity).
a) is harder as every window switch currently involves saving current
state to the DS (which resides on an abysmally slow SD card in my case),
usually done synchronously.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/