Update methods (Was: Root filesystem ran out of room in F11-on-XO1)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Feb 25 13:35:48 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 18:13 -0600, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> If my suspicion is correct, then the "ease of use" of olpc-update (which
> depends upon /versions) needs to be balanced against the potential for
> "shock" if the XO-1 user "runs out of room in the XO1" that much sooner.

I'm afraid that olpc-update will never become usable in the general
case. I find it hard to believe that users will be willing to sacrifice
~500MB of their flash to accommodate updates. In the field, it's a lot
faster to flash a new image from USB and then restore the journal from
backup.

Today I found out that Esteban, a Ceibal developer, has been working on
a "backup to USB" patch for the Journal.

In Paraguay, we've been using two simple shell scripts to save and
restore the journal across upgrades, but a proper UI would definitely
simplify things for the technicians.