Test request: Wifi encryption changes...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 07:48:35 EST 2010

Hi lists,

I've recently been working on wifi & wpa association issues  on the
8.2.x releases (F-9, NM-6.5, Sugar 0.82) and there is bug I would like
to ask people to test for with Strawberry (of F11 images on XO),
Blueberry and the 0.87 SoaS builds.

I have definitely seen it a long time ago, and it was known, but it
wasn't on dev.l.o as an open bug so I tracked it as
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10021

To repro you need an XO or SoaS and an access point...

* Setup an AP with WPA or WPA2 encryption, with a passphrase
* Connect to it from XO giving the right passphrase
* On the AP, change the passphrase
* On the XO, reconnect. The reconnect will try to use the stored
passphrase, fail, and ask for a new passphrase. However, NM ignores
the new passphrase.

Similar issues are likely to exist with changing between no
encryption, WEP, WPA, WPA2.

Hopefully this is fixed in newer NM + Sugar, but it is something
nobody has been testing, and it does mess things up in the field so we
need your help...

If this gets fixed, then we can remove the ugly "delete network info"
button from the control panel (which is just a workaround for this).

(Why am I asking for this? I don't have equipment at all at this
moment, as I am "on the move".)

cheers,

martín
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com