[SoaS] Using SoaS Blueberry to emulate OLPC F11 builds

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Feb 9 13:33:08 EST 2010

Martin;

why not use zyx-liveinstaller,which generates a real file system, to
make the First USB Stick?
Link: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/ZyX-LiveInstaller
This way there is no danger of overlay corruption. You can thus proceed
with you customization with yum.
4GB is a minimum size you can use for this....*

Alternatively you could use liveinst (Anaconda) to make your USB stick.
The advantage is that you can do a dd copy of it to an .img file. Use
this to make copies via dd of the .img file to each USB
If this is done before it has run firstboot. The root password is set on
running liveinst but the user info,etc
gets written on first boot of each copied stick.

The F12 net install.iso can also be used to make a custom USB ie: gnome
+ sugar-desktop via a fast internet connection
thus you will have a gdm login with gnome/sugar selection (like the
Fedora education nightly composes which is currently broken)
see: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/VMware#Appliances_with_Persistence for
more info. (It works for USB sticks also)

* Note that gnome + sugar may require 8GB USB's

I have been very successful with Toshiba & Lexar Firefly 4GB USB sticks
both have a LED which flashes to show writes. This is very useful to
show when the delayed writes to usb have finished to avoid premature
pulling out of the sticks and consequent corruption.

Tom Gilliard
satellit