[ANNOUNCE] Tiny Core Linux for XO-1 and XO-1.5

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Feb 5 17:52:46 EST 2010

Apologies for the delay ... I'd decided to wait for my next Saturday
before spending more time on Tiny Core, because it is a side project for
me.  The root shell was all I needed at work.

I tried compiling the kernel using tar-pkg, but the size of the kernel
and modules was huge compared to the prebuilt kernel.  I noticed because
it was too large for the XO-1.5's /tmp to hold the initrd tree.  I can
fix /tmp fine, but when I looked at why the kernel was bigger I found
module files were ten times larger.  Probably debugging symbols.  I'll
have another go at it later.  I'll then add instructions to mktinycorexo
for building a kernel.

Thanks for the .config.  Clearly what is needed is CONFIG_SQUASHFS so
that Tiny Core's fascinating packaging system works.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:02:34PM -0800, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> Finally run the build on the XO-1 and added Xbfdev as described here
> [... in later mail ...]
> http://www.tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#framebuffer

Thanks.  Unfortunate that it requires persistent store ... I really like
being able to remove the USB stick.  I'm hoping there might be a way to
do these actions in the mktinycorexo script.

I reviewed your version of mktinycorexo, and liked the comments you
added; they were constructive.  You're welcome to edit the comments down
to the smallest thing that would have helped you understand the code.

For instance,

# stop immediately if a command fails
set -e

Ever used git?  You could send me your changes and you get your name in
my repository history.

git clone http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/mktinycorexo/.git mktinycorexo.git
cd mktinycorexo.git
vi mktinycorexo # edit the file
git commit -a -m 'add comments'
git format-patch origin

Then send mail and attach the file or files that it creates, e.g.
0001-add-comments.patch

Oh, and if you have never used git before, you should do this after
installing the git package ...

git config --global user.name "John Doe"
git config --global user.email johndoe at example.com

With real data, that's just an example.  ;-)

> Is really low-tech but that's how was done!

Don't underrate yourself.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/