10.1.3 without GNOME

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Dec 29 17:37:12 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> Will there be a version of 10.1.3 without GNOME
>
> Not in the plans. You can follow James' suggestions though.
>
> One improvement is that GNOME now is much harder to break (in itself),
> and is *much* harder to break Sugar with GNOME. It removes some
> reasons to remove GNOME :-)

True, although our reasons for not providing GNOME are based on a
decision to provide a single environment for the schools.
Additionally, we plan on harvesting data from the journals to look for
some semblance of use patterns. These don't get captured on the GNOME
side via the Journal.

I guess we'll remove the GNOME access icon and go from there.

cheers,
Sameer