USB to VGA

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Dec 15 18:58:59 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 06:30:37PM -0500, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> The three hard-wired Ethernet dongles I put up on the wiki page this
> morning as tested and working seem to have dropped off the page.
> Perhaps they were placed in the wrong spot?

No, they are still there.  Check browser caching, and try the refresh
link on the page.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/10.1.3/Testing#Connectivity:_Different_Internet_connections

Also helps if you create an account and log in.  Your edits were by an
anonymous IP address.

> I also cant seem to add any more results either, did I offend someone?

What happens when you try?

The Wiki was down for a short time earlier.  Perhaps you hit that event.

> But, when the little power indicator at the bottom right went off,
> which it did after about 10 seconds, the network disconnected and then
> didn't come back when i played on the trackpad. I needed to manually
> restart the connection.  I was in the  middle of downloading a page
> when this happened, so I'm not really sure why it thinks I'm idle, it
> just seems to put itself to sleep a little.  The screen stayed on.

Sounds normal.  Turn off power management before using a 3G modem ...
because otherwise when the system suspends the modem will lose power,
and therefore connection.

> So then, I couldn't find any control on the Gnome side to turn off
> auto power management, so I went over to Sugar and turned if off there
> from the settings page.  Should the mobile broadband connection stay
> active if I do a switch to Sugar?

No.  Sugar and Gnome manage the network connections without reference to
each other.

> Because it doesn[t seem to, it seems to instead start using my
> previoua wireless connection from my previous Sugar session by
> default.

Normal.

> Which then made me think, I actually have no idea how to try to
> nitiate a Broadband modem connection from the Sugar side!  Oops.

Control panel, modem configuration, then click on the icon for the modem
in the frame and select Connect.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/