USB to VGA

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 13:24:08 EST 2010

I have set up a little XO test environment for USB to external VGA.  I've
done minimal testing, but if anyone would like me to try anything
specifically, or give me a detailed test plan, please let me know.

Here is what I have

1 XO 1.5 running os4
1 XO 1.5 running 357
1 XO 1.0 running os4
1 XO 1.0 running 357

1 Startech USB2VGA
1 Startech USB2VGA2

1 Dell 23" with VGA cable
1 HP 55" with VGA cable.

Out of the box what I have noticed in a very simple plug-and-play set of
tests is:

Both 1.5's with both Startechs, with both monitors:  If the monitor is
already turned on, and already plugged into the USB port on the XO 1.5
before cold boot, the external monitor becomes active and looks fantastice,
every time.  This works on both the Sugar and Gnome boots.  System doesnt
seem to care if anyting else has been plugged into the USB port between
boots, still comes up first time every time.

Both 1.0's with both Startechs with both monitors:  If the monitor is
already turned on, and already plugged into the USB port on the XO 1.0
before cold boot, the external monitor becomes active and looks fantastic,
most the time.  This is the case on both the Sugar and Gnome boots.  The
most the time comes from :  If I have plugged a different USB device into
the port between boots, the XO 1.0 stalls at the 'third dot around the
circle' during boot and flashes the external monitor.  This stall does not
seem to exit. The only exit n my arsenal is the power off button.  However,
on the subsequent boot, not having swapped any different USB device, that
boot goes right round the circle, and activates the external monitor.

The above seems a bit strange, but it is consistent.

I have had absolutely no success in plugging any adapter with any monitor
into any of the XO's after XO is up.  LSUSB recognizes the adapter, but
doesn't activate the external monitor.

I have had no success in unplugging the adapter while the external monitor
is active.  The internal XO display does not come back active, and
replugging the external adapter does not bring the external monitor back
active.  Oops, now need to Power off again.

Another little note, when the external becomes active when booting the Sugar
desktop, the internal display goes blank, once the External goes active.
When booting on the Gnome side, the internal display continues to display a
sort of console output, but it remains static.

Again, if anyone wants me to test other things, or any specific
combinations, please let me know.  I may need instructions to monitor what
you want to see, (I.e.; I'm sure there are guffaws and giggling about my
comment 'third dot around the circle'); but,  I'm willing to learn.

Cheers

KG