"Mesh" Dreams = OLSR

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Aug 24 11:45:47 EDT 2010

On Aug 24, 2010, at 5:24 PM, Richard A. Smith wrote:

> On 08/24/2010 10:13 AM, Reuben K. Caron wrote:
>
> > Consider the benefits of using open source software versus our closed
> > source firmware and partnering with communities like Freifunk whose
> > network is ~ 800 node, guifi.net is almost 10k nodes in Barcelona,
> > Athens Wireless is 5k nodes.
>
> The largest of our mesh problems did not have to do with scalability on sheer number of nodes but

BTW Richard, as far as I remember the problems with 802.11s seemed to be:
1) the standard is not a standard and it was intentionally crippled
2) the drivers were very b0rked and broken (and Marvel did a terrible job with the driver software)

Scalability to less than 30 laptops in one room was the result.
A standard good AP and standard laptops can go to 30 in one room (with standard settings).
So, there was definitely something broken with the Marvel solution.

Fix layer 2 first, then look at layer 3.

PS: can you forward my answer to the lists? I am not subscribed...